15 Fun Facts About Seagar’s Prime Steaks & SeafoodBack to What’s New
If you’re looking for a fine dining experience at a Gulf Coast restaurant, look no further than Seagar’s Prime Steaks & Seafood. One of the few four-diamond restaurants on the Emerald Coast (and the only steakhouse on the list!), Seagar’s is well-known for its Gulf-to-table seafood, USDA prime steaks, and one of the best wine lists around!
Eager to learn more about this beloved restaurant? We’ve compiled 15 fun facts about Seagar’s below!
1. When did Seagar’s open? Seagar’s opened in July of 1998.
2. Who founded Seagar’s The restaurant was founded by Frank Flautt.
3. Where does the name come from? The name is a play on words. The restaurant originally offered cigars to guests, and is situated near the sea / Gulf of Mexico. The name eventually evolved into Seagar’s.
4. Who was the first executive chef at Seagar’s? Mark Sublet.
5. Who was the first sommelier at Seagar’s? Sean Goss was the original general manager, trainer and sommelier. He began working at the restaurant in March of 1998 — a few months before Seagar’s officially opened to the public.
6. When did the current sommelier begin working at Seagar’s? Patrick Crumpler started working at Seagar’s in August 2006.
7. How big is the wine list? With 600 wines, Seagar’s boasts one of the best wine lists on the Emerald Coast!
8. How many employees work at Seagar’s? Seagar’s has 19+ employees, depending on the time of year. That number includes the kitchen staff, servers, the sommelier and more.
9. Has the restaurant space changed at all since opening in 1998? Yes. Seagar’s underwent a major renovation and redesign in 2013. During that time the Tapestry Room, an intimate space for groups of two to ten, became fully enclosed for the first time. The space also receives yearly touch ups on the paint, upholstery and carpets. The floor in the bar is redone yearly as well.
10. Seagar’s has received many important accolades. Which ones are most memorable? The staff at Seagar’s is proud of every award they’ve received. The AAA and Wine Spectator awards are particularly memorable — one year the staff had a big celebration with AAA to celebrate their recognition. The party featured a collection of cars displayed throughout the lobby and outside the resort.
11. Seagar’s is a very popular destination for celebrations and special occasions. How does Seagar’s help guests celebrate those big moments in life? At Seagar’s, birthdays are celebrated with a complementary soufflé; anniversaries and proposals with a Champagne toast.
12. Are there any landmark events that have taken place at Seagar’s? Seagar’s is a popular location for many charity events, partnering with groups including Sinfonia Gulf Coast, Habitat for Humanity, Destin Charity Wine Auction Foundation, Children’s Volunteer Health Network, Emerald Coast Autism Center, Emerald Coast Children's Advocacy, Sandcastle Kids, Wine Women & Shoes and more.
13. Is Seagar’s appropriate for guests of all ages? Yes! The Seagar’s team fondly remembers a table of eight a few years back that included two very observant children. They watched intently as the staff prepared their food tableside. The next night, the children came to the restaurant again and they were able to walk the staff through the process of making the Caesar salad and Bananas Foster!
14. How often does Seagar’s change the menu? The menu changes with the seasons to include special touches that are only available at specific times of the year.
15. What is the most popular dish at the restaurant? Banana Fosters is the crowd favorite. It’s been on the menu since Seagar’s first opened in 1998 and continues to impress guests.
Come see for yourself why Seagar’s is continually ranked as one of the best restaurants on the Gulf Coast! Our four-diamond restaurant experience is sure to impress!